Saturday, March 23

run fatty run

Running and me go way back.

I used to run track in middle school and was pretty darn good at it. I went to state once. I even ran a 6 minute mile back in my prime.

During high school I had a dream of playing basketball so I foolishly didn't run track. Since then I haven't done much running unless it was "To The Border" or maybe when camping and I thought I heard a bear.

I've tried to get into shape and a couple times the past few years with no lasting success. I'd do really well for a few months, either with exercise or eating well, but nothing stuck. I went vegetarian for a month. I even went gluten free/vegan for a week. That was hard-ass-hard, let me tell you. What the hell to vegans eat when they don't eat bread?

But I digress...

Where was I? Oh yes. Running. I've come up with a new plan that incorporates both running and getting into shape. I'm a regular Einstein I tell ya.

I've registered for a 5K. Paid the cash, no refunds or exchanges.

To be exact I've signed up for the Color Run, which looks Ah-Ma-Zing-Ly fun! Basically people throw colored corn starch at you the whole time. Here's some pics


I mean, talk about GOOD TIMES! I've even gotten a few friends and my cousin to come along with me.

Psyched!

So, I've started my "Couch to 5K" app on my phone with a goal to not totally embarrass myself. Ultimately I'd love to be able to run the WHOLE TIME, I'm not gonna hold my breath. Right now I'm on week 5 of my training; run 6 minutes - walk 2 - run 5 - walk 2 - run 6 - walk 5. I go about 2.8 miles which is almost a 5K (3.1 miles).

So back to the whole "lose weight" thing.

I've decided that since none of my other attempts have really stuck, I'm just going to train, as opposed to have a goal of losing weight. I know if I keep running, the weight will come off on its own.

As of today, I haven't adjusted my caloric intake at all. I'm just focusing on running 3-4 times per week, improving my distance and time. The 5K is in about 3 weeks, and after then I'll work on cutting back and/or keeping track of my food.

Baby Steps.

I'm also going to sign up for AT LEAST TWO more 5Ks this year, just so I have something else to work towards. Improving my time/etc. I'm also going to try to find other fun runs like the Color Run. There's one in Bend, Oregon thats a "Beer Run" where you run around town to all the (many) Breweries in town and you get a free Growler at the end. Yes!

Why am I telling you this?

Accountability folks.

If I put it "out there" then I'll have to answer to someone besides myself. Plus a little encouragement from my bloggy friends always goes a long way.

I'll keep y'all posted on my progress, but don't worry I won't give you TOO much since it may be boring to some of you. But I'll definitely post pics from the Color Run. I'm SO EXCITED about this one!

Yay to progress! And fitness! BOOM!

xoxo, McGriddle Pants

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it Anne! I just started running again on Friday. And despite cycling an obscene amount every week, my legs were still really sore after running for 25 minutes!

Good luck.

Baby Sister said...

Good for you!! I keep trying to start, and then my week will go to pot. So, I'm supposedly going to start again tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

Anonymous said...

Where and when is this Color run??

Also, something that I have been using www.myfitnesspal.com ...they also have a really good phone app. Keeps track of your calorie input and output and sets daily limits based on what you want to achieve. I have been using it for like 125 straight days and have lost 8 lbs. It is kinda like a video game!

Ok, thats it!